California Prison Focus and Rise Up for Justice organized a sister march with the Aug. 19th Millions for Prisoners Human Rights march calling an end to the 13th Amendment and the prison industrial complex, and to replace it with a more humane and effective system.
Folks who were formerly incarcerated, families who have loved ones incarcerated, those who have lost loved ones to police violence and activists joined their voices and energy to answer the call of loved ones in jail who created this day of action.
Millions For Prisoners Human Rights Core Demands for Action:
A) We DEMAND the 13th amendment ENSLAVEMENT CLAUSE of the United States Constitution be amended to abolish LEGALIZED slavery in America.
B) We DEMAND a Congressional hearing on the 13th Amendment ENSLAVEMENT CLAUSE being recognized as in violation of international law, the general principles of human rights and its direct links to:
- Private entities exploiting prison labor
- Companies overcharging prisoners for goods and services
- Private entities contracted by states/federal government to build and operate prisons. This would also include immigration detentions
- Racial disparities in America’s prison population and sentencing
- Policing: the disproportionate (unaccountable) killings by police in the black and brown communities
- Felony Disenfranchisement laws
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement 34,000 detention quotas
- Producing the world largest prison population